From:
Thom Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 04:13:50 -0500
Not sure when this will get posted, as I have only recently re-subscribed
to the list and this is my first submission of the season. I listened to
broadcast of UNH 3-2 OT win over BC on WTSN radio in Dover, NH, last
night, which was not the same as watching, but not bad either. Those radio
guys called a pretty good play-by-play game.

BC took the lead at 2:12 in the first period on goal by Hennis (5th of
year; assists to Forest and Murphy). UNH tied at 11:32 in first on
dribbler by defenseman Tyson Teplitsky (assist to Andrew Leach, 4th line).
Chris Collins (3rd goal of year) gave BC 2-1 lead early in  second period
(assist to Vose). UNH tied at 14:52 in second on Sean Collins's 6th goal
of year (assists to Lanny Gare and Colin Hemingway). No scoring in 3rd,
but lots of power plays killed off. Sounded like great goal-tending on
both sides (Ayres and Kelteianan sp?). OT erupted about 2 minutes in, with
Patrick Eaves (BC)  getting game misconduct for spearing and Hemingway
(UNH) a game misconduct for fighting (retaliation). Ben Eaves (BC) and
Patrick Foley? (UNH) also got minors. Game continued 5-5, when a few
seconds later Sean Collins got his second goal of night, the game winner
(Gare should have had an assist, but apparently was not credited?).

UNH "new" first line with Hemingway, Gare, and Collins apparently
outplayed BC's first line with the two Eaves and Vose on Tuesday night.
BC's first loss of the season. With BC ranked #1, UNH #2, and BU, UMO, and
Providence also in top 11, there seems to be a lot of parity in the early
going of Hockey East this year. Ten days ago, BU beat UNH 3-2 in Durham,
then this past weekend, BC beat BU 3-2. Merrimack, Providence, and
Northeastern have all played tough against UNH so far this year. The Cats
visit UMO this Friday night, which will have lots of recent history riding
on it, including UNH loss to UMO in St. Paul in Frozen Four semi's last
April and Mike Ayres wrist injury in first of two games in Orono last
January. UNH will play without Hemingway, with his one-game suspension for
fighting. Seems to me that spearing, being one of the most dangerous
infractions in hockey, also deserves a suspension.

Go Cats!

Thom Davis, UNH '72