From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 01:54:18 -0500
I don't know about the WWII years in the NHL, but back in the
early years of the game hockey was played 7 a side and the
seventh player was the rover (the defensemen were called point
and cover point).  I cannot say for sure, but I believe that the
defensive players stayed behind the red line and the forwards
stayed in front of the red line, with the rover allowed to go anywhere
on the ice, although he was considered a forward.

Bob, are you sure you did not mean to say you went to a game in
1917-18 (WWI)? :-)

Sean

On 9 Feb 2002, at 23:27, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> When I was ten (1942) an uncle took me to an NHL game. I think, repeat
> think, that a special rule was made during the war years and a forward
> pass out of the defensive zone could be made to one player designated
> as the "Rover."  I don't recall whether or not this was an extra
> player. I can't find a reference to the player on the Internet. Is
> there any one out there with some hockey history available who can let
> me know whether or not there was a "Rover" or is it a figment of my
> aging imagination?
>
> Bob Saunders
> NU Staff

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers             Boston University Hockey