From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 23:04:05 -0900
----- Original Message -----
From: T. N. Long <[log in to unmask]>

> I would also like to be pointed to the specific NCAA position on new D1
> programs.  Please don't post any "I've been told" statements unless you
can
> provide specific NCAA names and titles.  It is my understanding and the
> apparent understanding of the Alabama in Huntsville and Wayne State
> athletic departments (as indicated by their information releases) that
they
> are both are D1 programs.  UAH was tournament ineligible because it was
> only in its second year as a D1 program, and WSU was tournament ineligible
> because this was their inaugural season.

According to the NCAA News & Features on December, 7, 1998 at

http://www.ncaa.org/news/19981207/active/3538n25.html

"Under NCAA reclassification provisions, Alabama-Huntsville will be
officially recognized as a Division I men's ice hockey member in 2000-01,
pending the institution's compliance with appropriate divisional legislation
for a two-year period. Until that time, the Chargers are prohibited from
NCAA championship competition. "

The NCAA will not call them Division I until next season even though UAH
announced they were reclassifying the program to D1 in June 1998.  Bemidji,
Bentley, and Mercyhurst will also be "officially" D1 next season according
to the same article.  It's definitely sort of splitting hairs but you can't
be Division 1 until you complete the two year reclassification period.
Until then you remain in the previous division as far as the NCAA is
concerned and can't play in either division's championships but you have to
follow the Division I rules.  I guess they are in divisional limbo for two
years.  Among other things they get only a Division II cut of the NCAA
revenue even though they must comply with D1 rules during that period.  I
read one case too for one school where a number of players eligible under
the D2 rules suddenly became ineligible the next year under D1 rules even
though they were just starting the two year reclassification period.