From:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:30:03 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Will Anzenberger <[log in to unmask]>
>Just wonder if there have been quite as dramatic falters of a
>pre-season #1  (while I have followed college hockey for a long time,
>I didn't follow it to the point of who pre-season #1s were).

Same city, different year.

The 1986-1987 Boston University Terriers were pre-season #1 in some
publications. Certainly they were everyone's favorite to win Hockey East,
including all of the coaches. They had only one major loss from the
defending HEA champions, captain Peter Marshall.

Below .500 for the entire first semester, they finished at 19-15-3, were
fourth in HEA and beaten by Northeastern in the first round of the playoffs.
Only good news for whole season was Beanpot championship on Mike Kelfer's
overtime goal.

This was my first year as a BU season ticket holder, and it is still the
only BU team I have ever seen that could qualify as under-achievers. This
team should have been better, but lacked the senior leadership that has been
the true trademark of the winning BU teams since.

Patrick Abegg