From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 21:11:50 -0500
At 09:36 AM 11/17/97 EST5DST, you wrote:
>MARK,
>
>    With all due respect, I believe that the comments made regarding
>the RPI / Niagara game were unwarranted.  NU's program, although
>fledgling, is a program to contend with.

I knew as soon as I wrote that note that I would have to defend myself.
I expected the Niagara hockey team to be a joke. They were not. I expected
the Niagara hockey team to fold as soon as RPI started to score. They did not.
I expected the Niagara hockey team to run and hide when the big Engineer
forwards started hitting along the boards. The Purple Eagles just hit back.

My point was this:
Pre-season - RPI was ranked in the top 10 nationally.
Pre-season - RPI has been picked in numerous polls to win the ECAC.
RPI was ranked #13 nationally at the end of last season and just missed
        an NCAA bid. AND, that entire team has returned.

Niagara on the other hand is in its second year of collegiate hockey
(according to its hockey web page).
In addition, although Niagara's hockey program is Division 1, they play
 in a Division III league with less than 20 games aginst Division 1
opponents.

>Coach MacDonald has not only constructed a team but also a program,
> that within the next five years, will become a seasoned prgram to contend
with.

No question about it. It's a great looking program. And quite possibly will
be a contender in the next 5 years.
I, on the other hand, was commenting on Niagara today and the perception
of RPI today.

>Respectfully Yours
>
>Nathan S Bennett
>St. Bonaventure Univ.
>Class of '98

I'm now tempted to take a cheap shot at St. Bonaventure.

Only because my son is a freshman there this year  ;-)
Mark Lewin
RPI - class of '69