From:
Lance Harry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 07:55:13 -0500
<< > From: IN%"[log in to unmask]"  "Andrew Weise"    26-JAN-1997 23:03

 > I'd like to hear from anyone and everyone out there who has seen
 > games in places like ... and Lynah
 > Rink (Cornell) and compare their facilities to Achilles Rink >>

My $0.02...

I attended Union from 88-92 (played alot of Sat. afternoon games at Achilles,
and watched alot of Sat. night games, if you know what I mean).  At the same
time my {now} wife attended Cornell, and I watched alot of games at Lynah.

Now granted, Union was dIII for my first three years, and dI only for my
senior year (but I have seen games since at Achilles) and as much as I love
Union hockey and Achilles (as both player and fan), in no way does the
atmosphere at Achilles compare to the atmosphere at Lynah.  Let me break it
down.

Achilles:
Students at Union are apathetic, in general.  The student body does not
support hockey like other schools I have seen, including Cornell.  Not to say
that there isn't a faithful contingent of students and Schenectady residents
that support Union, but its one of those places where, in general, the level
of excitement really doesn't explode until the thrid period of a close game.

In no way does this suggest that moving the program off campus will help
this.  In fact I am definitely against that idea, for all the reasons that
have already been mentioned on the list.

Lynah.
Wow, is all you can say.  Just thinking about a Cornell-Harvard matchup, with
playoff implications, late in February gives me shivers.  The students
(occupying over 1/2 of the entire facility, which holds ~2200(?)) stand and
make lots of noise throughout the entire game, without question. And it is
LOUD, and INTIMIDATING.  The entire game is choreographed by student sections
and the band, which is one of the finest Ive seen at a hockey game, including
cheers and traditional songs.  Ive seen/played alot of hockey, and I havent
seen a setting better than Lynah to play or watch.  You really have to
experience it to appreciate it.
(BTW, its most fun if you've seen a few Cornell games as a Cornell fan, then
go in and cheer for 'your' team against Cornell, i.e. Union's one and only
ECAC win, 1992, @Cornell, what a night!!!)

I realize my observations are in general from the 1992 era, so things may be
drastically different now.  I would enjoy any opposing opinions.

Lance D. Harry
UC '92
BU '94