From:
Lance Harry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 13:06:59 -0500
In a message dated 97-01-20 09:58:03 EST, Dan writes:

<< For those of us who don't get to see much hockey on the east side of the
world,
 I for one would like to see updates about how the other top Hobey candidates
 are doing.  We can read about some game recaps and look at stats, but it is
 sometimes difficult to get a read on what the player is doing for his team.

I can't pass this opportunity up...
Let me preface by saying I am a BU fan, but would also consider myself a
decent player and a relatively knowledgeable student of the game, blah, blah,
blah....

Chris Drury is simply the most dominating player in the Hockey East.  Every
time he is on the ice, it doen't always look pretty, he doesnt have
unbelievable speed (although its definitely good) and he doesnt even have
great acceleration (not in a league with Kariya, etc..), BUT, his strength,
hands and determination are what gets it done.  He scored 4 goals in the two
ties against BC this past weekend.  Going into the weekend he was averaging
{a nation best?} 1.2 goals per game, which will obviously go up after this
weekend!!

During the BU "slide" up in the North Country, and against the ECAC and ND in
December, Drury was the only player on the team able to keep up any sort of
offensive numbers, while the rest of the team went on holiday break (or to
Switzerland, whichever the case may be).  Now that the offense appears to be
resurging, his numbers go up with the team.

Ive yet to see a defensive team / player / scheme that can prevent Drury from
getting multiple QUALITY scoring opportunites per period.  Although I only
saw the game at BU this past weekend, I'm getting the picture that Drury had
plenty of opportunties to tally the hat trick in the 3rd period at BC to win,
only to be denied by Greg (I always get my act together and play like
everyone expects me to against BU!!!) Taylor.  These kind of opportunties do
not come easy to someone with a bullseye on his chest, against your biggets
rival, in a tie game in the thrid period.

Enough said... I admit I havent seen as much Western play this year as in the
past, but for my money, Drury = Hobey, no question.

I'd love to hear more comments.

Lance D. Harry
BU '94
Union '92