From:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 08:54:22 -0500

> > Hi all!!

> > Once again my team has proven themselves that they can win the CCHA
> > championship.

>Correction: Michigan won the CCHA championship.  LSSU won the
>postseason tournament.  That makes LSSU the CCHA Tournament champions,
>not the CCHA champions.  It also is much less impressive to me.
>Winning the regular season means you have to play excellent hockey
>throughout the season.  Winning the postseason tournament means you
>have to get good/lucky for a very short period of time.

I agree, to an extent.  I would love to see Lake Superior have a
season where they dominate the CCHA all year and remain highly
ranked in the national polls, much as Michigan did this year.
I think that is an indication of good, consistent hockey team.  And,
yes, to win one CCHA tournament after a mediocre season may only
be luck.  However, in recent years, Lake Superior has demonstrated,
toward the end of the season, the ability to win the really big games.
I don't know how to quantify this in an athletic team but I think
most people will agree, some teams just don't have it.  And for that
reason, even though I'd love to see an LSSU dominant season, I have
to feel their success is due to more than luck.

                                .
                                .
                                .

>> I know that they can do it. I have faith in
>> them if no one else does. I appreciate a team like them that worked
>> through their difficulties and came back to win. Thanks for
>> listening to me vent.

>I have no idea why you needed to vent.  Perhaps the voices you heard
>ragging on LSSU were the voices of their own fans earlier in the
>season when things weren't looking too good?

I doubt it.  Most of the Laker fans I know try to remain objective
in good times and bad.

>> Colleen [log in to unmask]

>- -Alan Harder
> Go Blue!

Matt Wickey                     Lake Superior State University
Carnegie Group, Inc.            NCAA Div. I Champs 1988 1992 1994
[log in to unmask]                  Go LAKERS!