From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 12:26:50 +0700
> From: David Parter <[log in to unmask]> sunday afternoon
> Subject:      Re: UW 4 CC 3 OT
>
> > Reed munson, i think  (CMS)
> > The game was really quite boring through the first two periods. UW shut
> > down CC's potent offense, limiting the Tigers to one goal in the first.

actually two, but one was disallowed.  everybody was saying it was a
man in the crease, but the faceoff was in the zone, so it couldn't
have been that.

> Being a badger fan, it wasn't boring... in fact, I don't think it
> was that boring a game for anyone. There was lots of action on
> both ends of the ice. It looked like the ice may have been a bit
> soft, as neither team seemed able to make crisp passes, and as
> the MSC announcers kept saying "the puck just died on him"...

the tiger faithful were attributing it to tiredness from yesterdays
overtime game, but it could well be.

> > UW got on the board early in the second to even the score. The joyous
> > Badger fans reveled in their opportunity to chant "SIEVE" at CC's Bach,
> > who up until the tieing goal had stopped more shots than the Wisconsin
> > goalie. One goal doesn't constitute a sieve in my book.
>
> it's just a cheer... Bach played an excellent game.
>
> > With the OT win, the UW band was not satisfied. They felt they had to rub
> > it into the CC team and fans by doing their "SIEVE" chant. They do it
> > after every goal they get, however, so I suppose it's just part of their
> > normal routine. Either way, I thought it was really unsporting of them.
>
> Yes, it is part of the routine. If Wisconsin was losing 10-1,
> they would "sieve" on the 1.

absolutely.  A couple of years ago, i was in madison watching a CC
playoff game with david and watched the badger fans "sieve" the empty net!
i recall thinking something like "get a clue, folks" but didn't dare say
anything.  i was a very bad boy at that game.  i yelled "YES" at a cc
goal and almost drove a little girl (david's niece as i recall) to
tears.

> > In my opinion I don't think CC's Bach was a seive last night. He faced 38
> > shots and made many nice saves.
>
> He sure did -- he played a very solid, game, holding his position,
> letting out very few rebounds, and making several big saves.
> Daubenspeck also made some big saves, but I think Bach was the
> better all-around goalie in the game.
>
> I'd also like to compliment the MSC announcers. I think that they
> are the normal Minnesota TV announcers, but they did a fine job
> (better than the UW TV guys would have done), with information
> about all the teams, all the players, etc. The refs and benches
> were miked, and it was very informative, especially to hear
> the talk between the refs and the players during the game.

they were also much more non-partisan than i've seen them.  We don't
get the games at home, except on tape delay, so i've been heading out
to a sports bar.  That is an EXPERIENCE.

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369