From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 13:05:23 -0600
> The Badgers beat CC by forcing the Tigers to play tough, physical hockey.
> Colorado College seemed to be slowed and worn down by the clutchy, grabby
> play of the Badgers.

I didn't think Wisconsin played clutch-and-grab much at all. They
did get physical, but not clutch-and-grab (any more than CC) like
some teams play.

> The game was really quite boring through the first two periods. UW shut
> down CC's potent offense, limiting the Tigers to one goal in the first.

Being a badger fan, it wasn't boring... in fact, I don't think it
was that boring a game for anyone. There was lots of action on
both ends of the ice. It looked like the ice may have been a bit
soft, as neither team seemed able to make crisp passes, and as
the MSC announcers kept saying "the puck just died on him"...

> UW got on the board early in the second to even the score. The joyous
> Badger fans reveled in their opportunity to chant "SIEVE" at CC's Bach,
> who up until the tieing goal had stopped more shots than the Wisconsin
> goalie. One goal doesn't constitute a sieve in my book.

it's just a cheer... Bach played an excellent game.

>           What a defenseman was doing so deep in the zone is beyond me,
> but he was in the right spot at the right time and punched the puck home
> on a backhand shot that beat CC's Bach.
> the slot. What a defenseman was doing so deep in the zone is beyond me,

According to the paper, he kept hearing Sauer in his mind saying
"Don't pinch! Don't pinch!", but the puck was just laying there,
so he went for it.

> With the OT win, the UW band was not satisfied. They felt they had to rub
> it into the CC team and fans by doing their "SIEVE" chant. They do it
> after every goal they get, however, so I suppose it's just part of their
> normal routine. Either way, I thought it was really unsporting of them.

Yes, it is part of the routine. If Wisconsin was losing 10-1,
they would "sieve" on the 1.

I thought it was nice that the team sent the trophy to the band, to
be passed around after the team had their first go around with it.

> In my opinion I don't think CC's Bach was a seive last night. He faced 38
> shots and made many nice saves.

He sure did -- he played a very solid, game, holding his position,
letting out very few rebounds, and making several big saves.
Daubenspeck also made some big saves, but I think Bach was the
better all-around goalie in the game.

> UW's goalie Kirk Daubenspeck was named the tournament's MVP and the
> all-tournament team goalie. His tournament GAA was 3.5 and save
> percentage was .888 (56 saves on 63 shots on goal)

On MSC, Daubenspeck said the MVP award belong to the defense.

> All in all a very exciting and fun WCHA Final Five Tournament.

Fortunatly for us in Madison, Channel 47 showed the final 4 of
the 5 games-- the Minnesota-CC game was on delay friday night,
the others were live. We missed the Minnesota-UND game, which I
hear was horrible. The MSC announcers said that after that game a
broken piston was found in the compressor system, and a new
compressor was brought in for the rest of the tournament (the St.
Paul Civic Center used to be known for the worst ice in the
world, but it was fixed sometime in the last few years).

I'd also like to compliment the MSC announcers. I think that they
are the normal Minnesota TV announcers, but they did a fine job
(better than the UW TV guys would have done), with information
about all the teams, all the players, etc. The refs and benches
were miked, and it was very informative, especially to hear
the talk between the refs and the players during the game.

        --david

--------
david parter                                         [log in to unmask]
university of wisconsin -- madison          voice: 608-262-0608/262-2389
computer sciences department                           fax: 608-262-6626