From:
Mike Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 02:57:01 PST
        I have to agree with all who frown on the conference playoffs and the
role they play in Tourney bids. Conceivably, MTU could have lost every game
this year (sorry, Tech fans) then go on to win the WCHA playoffs and get a
bid.  However, to say that only a conference regular season winner should be
able to win the NCAA Title is, in my opinion, counter-productive.  Consider
this scenario:

1 week left to play in regular season
WCHA Standings (hypothetical-based on 32 conf game season)

place team            points
1     CC              50
2     WISC            48
3     MINN            45

Conf winners only go to NCAA tourney:
Let's say #3 MINN's last 2 games are at #1 CC and #2 WISC plays anybody else.
 Too bad- as you can see, MINN can't win the WCHA so their season is over.
'Woogster' might want to get his freshmen some good experience or try a new
goal tender in this final series since he has nothing else to gain. That would
really be too bad for #2 WISC because they still have a shot to win the WCHA
with some help from MINN but they're probably not going to get it.  I can't
believe MINN would play like they would if they were still alive.

The current way:
You can bet MINN would go into CC and fight like hell to finish in 2nd hoping
for a bid

        The conf playoffs are lame - but.....my problem with Conf. winners
only isn't so much that there would be a lack of interest (which there would
certainly be) but the fact that once a team has been mathematically eliminated
are they going to keep playing up to their fullest potential?  It could get
sloppy. It could have a big impact on the end of a season for teams that are
fighting for 1st place by who they play - not how.

        My final point is that every year is different. Let's say Maine and BU
are #1 and #2 in the country.  Only one of these teams should be able to win
the NCAA because they're both in Hockey East?  What if the 3 best teams in the
country are in Hockey East and the team that wins the ECAC is only ranked 6th
ot 7th?

        Maybe I'm off base!  Please explain the logic behind only regular
season conference winners should be able to win the NCAA.  I really would like
to hear from you .....thanks       GO BADGERS!   mike