From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 1994 23:36:03 -0500
MTU defeated NMU at Houghton, tonight. NMU is a much larger team
with 8 players tipping the scale at 200 lbs or more. NMU played
a very physical game including a couple of hard runs taken at
our goalie. NMU also has more NCAA ice experience returning
a greater number of players from last year. Yet, none of this
seem to matter tonight.

MTU's Huskies came through by simply closing down NMU's potent
attack. Batholomaus, NMU's goalie looked somewhat unsure of
himself giving up several potential goal scoring rebounds. All
of the game's scoring was on power plays. There were only a
few minutes of five on five play. Pat Mikesch kept alive his
7 game scoring streak, started from last year.

MTU killed off 9 powerplay attempts including at least  two 3 on 5
NMU opportunities. By periods, I would give the edge to MTU
in each period although NMU gave it a go for a while in the third.
A couple of spectacular saves by Luciano Caravaggio seemed to
deflate NMU.
I suspect that we will see a different goalie tomorrow
night at Lakeview Arena in Marquette.

All in all, the game was excellent; however, I would prefer
to see more 5 on 5 hockey. NMU is a great team to beat whenever
we can do it. They are tough and give us a good game. I hope
that we can perform tomorrow night as well as we did tonight.