From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 1994 08:08:00 EDT
Here's a Paul Kariya article taken [illegally, most likely] from the AP.
In other news, FOX Sports has inked a 5-year deal to televise NHL
games.  Check your local news for more info today.

        ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- As the most highly touted hockey hot shot
to hit California since Wayne Gretzky, Paul Kariya will get
pressure from all sides.
        He'll even get it from his parents.
        Kariya, 19, will earn $6.4 million over the next three years as
the player to watch on the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. He'll make his
NHL debut Tuesday night against the Dallas Stars in the Ducks'
second exhibition game.
        Kariya's parents will be watching, too, especially to make sure
he finishes the college degree he started with two years at the
University of Maine and continued this summer by taking classes at
Simon Fraser University.
        ``It's something I'm very serious about and certainly something
my family's very serious about,'' said Kariya, who led Maine to its
first NCAA title and was the first freshman to win the Hobey Baker
Award as the top college player.
        ``My father is a teacher and my mother is a retired teacher, so,
obviously, education is very important to us and I'm going to spend
the time it takes to get my degree done,'' Kariya said. ``I'm two
years into my degree, so I'm at that stage where I have to choose
my major and get really serious about my studies.''
        In the meantime, Ducks coach Ron Wilson expects the 5-foot-7,
175-pound left wing to get seriously tested by some of the NHL's
top tough guys, but it's something the coach has already planned
for.
        ``If you look down our bench, we've got three or four missile
silos and my thumb's on the button,'' Wilson said. ``So, if anybody
wants to play that game, we can certainly retaliate. That doesn't
necessarily mean going after the people who go after Paul Kariya,
but going after their best players, too.''
        ``So I don't see that being a problem.''
        The Ducks, who made Kariya the fourth overall pick in the 1993
draft, don't want to ask for -- or expect -- too much right away.
        ``When you make more than two million dollars a year, there's
going to be pressure from outside sources,'' general manager Jack
Ferreira acknowledged. ``I can't control that, but we're not going
to put any undue pressure on him. We'll just let him go at his own
pace.
        ``We're not going to expect him to come in and carry this
franchise, initially. Eventually, he probably will be a cornerstone
of this franchise.''
        Kariya's versatility is something the Ducks will exploit right
away. They had the weakest power play in the NHL last season and
hope Kariya can help.
        To prepare for that, the left-handed shooter has spent a lot of
time trying to develop a right-handed shot to make him dangerous
from both sides.
        ``Guys like Chris Chelios do it in the NHL,'' he said, ``and
it's one extra thing that make add five or six more goals a year
and maybe make the difference between making the playoffs or not.''

  John Haeussler
  Univ of Michigan