From:
"Glenn W. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn W. Gale
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 1994 09:41:39 -0400
Yesterday I posted the following:

>     It was just announced that Clarkson's backup goaltender of last
>season, Greg Malicke, has decided not to return in the Fall.  With this
>news and the graduation of starter Jason Currie last spring, the
>starting goalkeeper spot this coming season will be up for grabs between
>two newcomers.

The report had come over the radio.  Today's Potsdam Courier-Observer (I
couldn't find a copy of the Watered-down times, er, Watertown Times :-))
has further details.  Here are some excerpts (without permission; any
typos are mine,)...

[begin quoted material]

ONE LESS VYING FOR GOALIE SLOT

By Ryne R. Martin

POTSDAM - Clarkson University should have one of the most potent offenses
in college hockey this season, and their defense will be anchored by a
Hobey Baker candidate.
     The big question mark about the Knights is in the nets.  And those
questions grew even bigger this week when Clarkson announced sophomore
Gregg Malicke has decided not to return to campus.
     That means Clarkson's goaltending will likely turn into a battle
between newcomers Jonathan Parrella and Dan Murphy.  Potsdam native Kerry
Blanchard, a sophomore, is the darkhorse who will be trying to add his name
to the Knights' goaltending mix.
     Parrella is a junior transfer who starred for Clinton Community
College the past two years, while Murphy is a 20-year-old freshman, who
played for the Nanaimo Clippers in British Columbia last year.
     Malicke, who had a 5.44 goals against average and a .757 saves percentage
in seven games last season, served as Jason Currie's understudy last season.
     The 6', 165- pound netminder was the Michigan Midget Hockey Player of
the year two years ago.  But Malicke noted during the course of the season
that it was extremely difficult making the jump from midget hockey to
Division I college play.  He saw extremely limited action during the
second half of the season.
     "Gregg's decision comes as a surprise to us," Clarkson Coach Mark
Morris said.  "He would have had an excellent shot to step in and win that
starting role.  I still believe he has a lot of potential as a starting
goaltender.  We wish him the best in his future endeavors."
     The Rochester Hills, Mich. native plans to pursue his engineering
studies at another institution.  Malicke had considered UMass-Lowell and
Michigan State before signing on with Clarkson last year.  Malicke is on
vacation and was unavailable for comment yesterday.

[...]

The remainder of the article consists of information about Parrella and
Murphy.  I guess we won't know why Malicke made his decision until
someone speaks with him about it.

Thanks,
-Glenn