EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:58:25 -0700
Excellent summary of the (a)etiology (and, no, I don't mean etymology)
of the word - but does it really tell us how "Macaronics" is or might
usefully be used? But for the Latin tags, you seem very close to
describing Menippean satire -- and in that case "Macaronic" would have
little meaning beyond that of a simple classification of terminators.
Possibly that's your point and position.

But what term, then, would you propose as descriptor for polyglot,
non-satiric poetry that doesn't fit into the narrow mold of "Macaronic"
that you set forth? Maybe "Poundianics"? Or, if we include non-verse
writing AND not-necessarily-Macaronic verse, Poundiejoycianics?
Joyciepoundianics? Or have I simply overlooked the historically correct
term in my distraction and ignorance?

By the way.....you aren't one who, remembering Chaucer, would be
insulted by someone saying that you have a "nice" smile -- are you?

Dirkus Ioiansonum