EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:13:31 -0800
Thank you, Tim: a problem with education is precisely what "the problem
with Pound" generally means. And "But you, you damn'd crowd of gnats, "
is truly an amazingly high-toned line, ain't it?

(The following is actually directed toward Brennen, but not meant to be
as harsh as it will probably sound.)

Does anyone actually expect that Pound would or should conform to the
Imagist platform?   Put Pound's poetry and the Imagist platform in
context.  Compare Pound's diction with Swinburne's (since he's not so
easy to get: http://www.letrs.indiana.edu/swinburne/) or Tennyson's or
Arnold's -- or Buchanan's if you can dig his corpse up -- but not with
Auden's, or... ahem... Ashbury's -- or even Robert Duncan's... or (he he
he) Billy Collins'.  These all follow(ed) Pound's "revolution".  Pound
helped bring English-language poetry closer to speech, which isn't to
say that he made poetry "conversational".  Perish the thought!!!  We
can't blame Pound for the watering down of much poetry into the
chat/journalism pap we've witnessed so much of since WWII.  Even the
limited Imagist platform can't be blamed for such pap.

Please listen to the Cantos and his other poems -- I don't just mean
Pound reading them, though he's definitely worth hearing (and the
recordings easy to acquire) if you've never heard him.  Read them aloud
yourself.  Listen to the way they move.  Pounds poetry is beautiful even
if you don't understand everything he's saying.  In fact, and possibly
directly to the point since we're discussing poetry rather than prose,
I've found that hearing him read and reading him aloud myself has helped
my understanding of his poetry (especially the Cantos) tremendously.
 Pound's prosody is 20th century music, but it isn't country, rock, or
easy-listening.  And its beauty is radically different from Swinburne's
or Rossetti's (and, for Rossetti, just in case:
http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu:2020/) or Shelly's or Wordsworth's.

Dirk Johnson
676 Geary #407
San Francisco, CA 94102