ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:27:12 -0400
Number 1 who cares about a meaningless poll at this juncture?  Last year we
finished the season so poorly after a good start.  I'd rather start ugly and
finish strong, however starting ugly and finishing ugly means we will need
to make changes.

We have both a strong Freshman and Sophomore classes, but the Senior class
does not have an impact player, and the Junior class is average, unless our
defensemen start to step it up!  Face it we had 3 BAD recruiting classes.  I
know it is heresy, (and no person was more important in keeping Maine a
contender) but Grant's last 2 classes and Guy's one class have had not been
up to snuff.  Dan Kerluke has done a nice job to date, but we still need
more impact players.  Having said that Gustav Nyquist is the best forward
Maine has recruited since Paul Kariya in my opinion.

What are "we" going to do about?  For now I will continue to support the
team and hope that this start is simply an aberration, that Sirman and
Darling will develop into a solid tandem, and that Maine will be a better
than .500 team!

IF we fail to improve, finish out of the Hockey East tournament, or simply
limp in then I will add my voice to the growing list of folks seeking a
change.

FINALLY putting things in perspective! Dick Umile is in his 20th season at
UNH, care to guess how many Frozen Fours UNH has been to during his tenure?
FOUR!  The exact same amount of times Coach Whitehead has delivered Maine
into the Frozen Four!  By the way how is Minnesota doing this year!

We have become spoiled, but 3 years in a row fails to be a rebuilding period
and starts to become a pattern!

Therefore what "WE" should do is support the team unconditionally, and
evaluate at the end of the season.  IF we have not improved, some of us who
have remained supporters will join voices like Tony and actually bring
credibility to the cause for change we can believe in.  Now there is a
phrase we have all heard and bought into, but as we have seen change does
not always lead to results!

Bob Fitta '83