ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 16:26:32 -0400
Is this good news or bad news?

ORONO, Maine - University of Maine President Robert Kennedy announced
today that he has chosen Blake James to be Director of Athletics at
Maine. James, who has been at Maine since 2003 and has served as interim
athletic director since July 2005, was chosen following a national
search.

"Several seasoned and accomplished athletics administrators expressed
interest in this position," Kennedy says. "It is clear to me that Blake
presents all of the attributes that we are looking for in a Maine
athletic director."

James was one of three finalists announced last month. Wayne State
University Athletic Director Robert Fournier and Frank Pergolizzi, the
athletic director at Southeastern Louisiana University, also visited
campus for a series of interviews and meetings. Kennedy decided on James
over the weekend and offered him the job on Monday. University of Maine
System Chancellor Joseph Westphal granted his approval, as required by
System policy, on Tuesday. The appointment will become final when
approved by the University of Maine System Board of Trustees.

"I had never met Blake before the search committee first interviewed him
earlier this spring," says Prof. David Townsend, director of Maine's
School of Marine Sciences and chair of the 11-member search committee.
"But I was instantly impressed with his maturity, his intelligence and
his clear ideas about how the Maine athletic department should operate.
As a professor, I was struck by his sincere commitment to academics and
to making the student-athlete experience a positive one; and of course,
as a Black Bear fan, I am excited about the future of the athletic
program under Blake's leadership."

Black Bear coaches Ann McInerney (women's basketball) and Tim Whitehead
(men's hockey) were on the search committee.

"The University of Maine is a wonderful institution and I am elated to
have the opportunity to continue in the role of athletic director,"
James says. "Our future success will depend on our ability to provide
our student-athletes with the resources they need to achieve academic
and athletic excellence. President Kennedy has a tremendous vision for
our University and I am excited to be a part of that vision."

James came to Maine in 2003 to serve as senior associate athletic
director. Kennedy appointed him interim A.D. when Patrick Nero left
Maine last summer to become commissioner of the America East Conference.

"Blake faced several tests during his tenure as interim athletic
director," Kennedy says. "In each case, he passed with flying colors. I
am particularly impressed with his personal integrity, his commitment to
student-athletes, and his firm understanding of the appropriate role of
an athletics department in a first-class academic institution. I have no
doubt that Black Bear student-athletes will continue to excel, both in
the classroom and in competition, as we move forward with Blake as
Maine's athletic director."

Before coming to Maine, James worked in athletic administration, mostly
in fundraising roles, at the University of Nebraska, the University of
Miami and Providence College. He earned a bachelor's degree from Mankato
State University and a master's degree from St. Thomas University in
Miami.

"Fundraising is a critical skill for any Division I athletic director in
this day and age," says Kennedy. "This is particularly true at an
institution like Maine, where we are involved in a fundraising campaign.
Blake's proven track record in fundraising, and the relationships he has
already developed within the Maine donor community, will serve us well.
He really understands and appreciates what Maine is all about, and he
will be an outstanding leader in our campus community."

Maine is in the first year of a six-year $150 million comprehensive
fundraising campaign.

The Maine athletic department has been operating without a senior
associate athletic director since James' promotion last summer. He says
he plans to start a search to fill that role right away.
--
  Deron Treadwell