ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:34:05 -0500
"Bracketology" is fun reading, but pretty much is just practice.

The NCAA Men's D-I Ice Hockey tournament has 16 invited teams.  Five of
those invited are the winners of each of the five conference
tournaments.  All games between eligible D-I opponents right through the
conference championships are counted.

The NCAA Selection Committee does not use PWR, but its system yields the
same set of teams as PWR (aka "Pairwise Ranking").  Unlike basketball
and other sports that use RPI and then adjourn to a smoke-filled room,
the ice hockey selection is done via mathematics (screwy though it may
be) only.  Seeding the 16 selections does tend to vary from year to
year, both in rules and methods, as the NCAA tries to be fair, while
maximizing tournament revenue.

Both uscho.com and collegehockeynews.com have excellent descriptions of
the ranking systems, selection and seeding on their web sites.

cheers, wane