ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 09:42:17 -0400
UMAINE HOCKEY GAINS TOP RECRUITS

University of Maine hockey coach Shawn Walsh has received National Letters
of Intent from center Matthias Trattnig, winger Dan Kerluke and former
Messalonskee HIgh School of Oakland defenseman Nate Ponitz.

Meanwhile, defenseman Eric Turgeon, a former Cony HIgh of Augusta standout,
will be a recruited walk-on.

Walsh is pleased with his class and said his staff is still actively
recruiting a defenseman to help replace Jeff Libby, who passed up his
senior year to sign with the NHL's New York Islanders.  They are also
looking for another forward.

"Given the limited resources we have, having dropped from 16 to 14
scholarships [due to NCAA sanctions] this is a terrific class," said Walsh.
 "We have to of the best forwards anybody is bringing in.  They are both
exceptionally fast with great shots.  They will given opportunities in
every aspect of the game.

"Matthias is very much like Bob Corkum [former Bear playing for the NHL's
Phoenix Coyotes] only more skilled.  He's a well-rounded player who enjoys
the physical part of the game and will have an immediate impact at the
center position.

"Dan Kerluke could be the scorer we've been looking for.  He led the
Toronto [Ontario Provincial A] League in goals with 62," added Walsh.

The 6-foot-2, 206-pound Trattnig, a native of Graz, Austria, had 32 goals
and 53 assists in 51 games for the Capital District (N.Y.) Select team.

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound Kerluke had 62 goals and 49 assists for the
Brampton (Ontario) Capitals.

Ponitz, according to Walsh, is a "big, stay-at-home defenseman who will
have a chance to show us what he can do at training camp."  He played at
Exeter Academy (N.H.) this past season.

Walsh cannot comment on Turgeon, who played at the Taft School (Conn.), but
Islanders scout Jim Madigan considers him to be a hard worker and good
competitor with decent skills.

--30--