ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:07:32 -0700
--- "Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> So, how many people are there that drive to Alfond regularly, but
> don't
> get WABI-TV ...  and would want to pay $15 for a much less than TV
> quality signal?

As Wayne pointed out, being a new daddy of a three-week old Maine
hockey fan, I don't anticipate heading up to too many games this year.
I am out of WABI's range and don't get WZON either.  So I am stuck
listening to "some" games on local radio (when they pick them up) and
the rest via streaming audio zoneradio.com.

I was "somewhat" interested in this when I first heard about it, but
like others have mentioned quality is an issue.  I've watched some
games via New Hampshire Public Television (UNH vs. Maine women and UNH
vs. St. Cloud NCAA game, both last year) via their streaming video.  I
have high speed access (cable modem), and it wasn't that good.

Oh, by the way, NHPTV steaming video is free.

I might try WABI-TV's service once and see if paying for the service
makes the quality better, but somehow I don't think it will.  But at
that price, I'd have to be significantly more impressed to buy it even
more than once.

Thought:  Will WZON take advantage of this movement and start charging
to listen to hockey games online?

-Deron