ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:42:51 -0500
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/030330umnotes.shtml

                     Sunday, March 30, 2003

                     UMAINE NOTEBOOK: Kevin Thomas

                       Bundle of chances, not enough bounces

                        By  KEVIN THOMAS, Portland Press Herald Writer

                      Copyright  2003 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

 ANN ARBOR, Mich.  --  University of Maine forward Robert Liscak makes it a habit of playing well in big games, and he almost game Maine the lead early in the third period. Just 1:32 into the period, Liscak kept control of the puck, working his way through two defenders. He wristed the puck over goalie Al Montoya's shoulder. It hit the inside of the crossbar and dropped down. Liscak appeared ready to celebrate, but he looked back at the net. The puck never crossed the goal line. It bounced and Montoya pounced on it.

   "It never went it," Liscak said. "It hit the post and bounced around the goal line.

   "Coach was pointing to go upstairs (to review the play). But I told him it never went in."

   Liscak had some other chances, as did his teammates.

   "We played well," he said. "After three weeks' layoff, and the slump we were in (1-3 in their last four games), I was pleased with the way we played. But they played well, too. They got two. We got one. It was a good, even game, and we came up short."

   Maine came up short on another scoring chance later in the third period. Ben Murphy centered a pass back to John Ronan in the crease. He appeared to have Montoya beat.

   "I hit the post," Ronan said. "I tried the rebound, but he snuffed it."

   SENIOR LOSS: Liscak was one of seven Black Bears playing his last game for Maine. The others were forwards Chris Heisten, Martin Kariya, Lucas Lawson and Gray Shaneberger, defenseman Cliff Loya, and Tom Reimann, who played both forward and defense.

   All of them have said they hope to play pro hockey next year. All will be free agents, except Loya, who had been drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks.

   MICHIGAN A FAVORITE: Michigan has a good chance at the national title, now that it has beaten Maine.

   Since 1993, when Maine has been in the NCAA tournament, the Black Bears have either won (1993, '99) or lost to the eventual champion (Boston University, '95; North Dakota, 2000; Boston College, 2001; and Minnesota, 2002).

   HOME-STATE ADVANTAGE: Michigan is not only strong in Yost Ice Arena, the Wolverines play well in the whole state of Michigan. They have not lost an NCAA playoff game in this state since 1994, when eventual national champion Lake Superior State beat the Wolverines, 5-4 in overtime.

   DOYLE'S THE CHOICE: When goalie Frank Doyle led the Black Bears onto the ice Saturday, it was clear that Maine Coach Tim Whitehead decided to start Doyle over Hockey East Rookie of the Year Jimmy Howard.

   At one point, it appeared Howard was going to be the No. 1 goalie when Whitehead played him in both games of the New Hampshire series, Feb. 1-2. But Howard never got into a groove. Whitehead started him in both games of the Hockey East playoffs, but replaced him both times with Doyle.

   "Frank played well in the playoffs," Whitehead said. "And he looked real sharp in practice. And you saw it tonight. He had a tremendous game."

   LOYAL CROWD: Among the sellout crowd of 6,798 were about 200 Maine fans. Included in the group were university president Peter Hoff and the new athletic director, Patrick Nero, who will start his duties next month.

   Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at: