ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:34:54 -0500
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/030330umgamer.shtml

                     Sunday, March 30, 2003

                                            Missed opportunities again cost Black Bears

                        By  KEVIN THOMAS, Portland Press Herald Writer

                      Copyright  2003 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

 ANN ARBOR, Mich.  --  The unfinished business will stay that way. The University of Maine hockey team, which dedicated its season to returning to the NCAA title game and, this time, taking home the trophy, will not get that chance.

   The University of Michigan scored a late power-play goal to beat the Black Bears 2-1 in the first round of the NCAA tournament before a sold-out, deafening and drained crowd of 6,798 at Yost Ice Arena on the Michigan campus.

   Maine had tied the game at 16:06 of the third period, on Colin Shields' one-timer. But Jed Ortmeyer's goal off a rebound at 18:29 gave the Wolverines a berth into today's quarterfinal game against Colorado College, a 4-2 winner over Wayne State earlier Saturday.

   It was the first Michigan victory over Maine in the NCAA playoffs, after three heartbreaking losses, two in overtime, and the other despite leading after two periods.

   "For us to go out and score that late goal was just about fitting because we've seen it go the other way in previous games," Michigan Coach Red Berenson said. "This one was close, hard-fought. I'm surprised it didn't go into overtime."

   Michigan (29-9-3) was riding a few streaks. The Wolverines have never lost a game to Maine in Michigan (now 4-0) and are 5-0 in NCAA early-round games at Yost.

   Maine, which started the year 15-1-2 and was ranked No. 1, finished 24-10-5, going 9-9-3 since New Year's Day.

   "It just seemed to carry over from the past two months," Maine senior forward Martin Kariya said. "We weren't opportunistic enough. They won the game."

   Maine was 0 for 4 on the power play. The Wolverines were 1 for 3, and scored their first goal on a penalty kill.

   "All of it was special teams," Kariya said.

   Berenson would correct that: "Special teams and goaltending," he said. "Maine probably deserved to win the game, if you look at their scoring chances."

   Maine outshot Michigan 35-27 and 13-8 in the third period, but freshman goalie Al Montoya remained steady with a little help from the pipes, which stopped two Maine shots in the third.

   The Black Bears started Frank Doyle in net, and he responded with one of his best performances, making 25 saves and helping keep the game scoreless through two periods.

   At 4:44 of the third period, Maine went on its third power play of the game. Montoya made quality saves on Lucas Lawson, Shields and Chris Heisten. Near the end of the power play, a bouncing pass came out to Maine forward Derek Damon at the point. It got by him and slid down the ice.

   Michigan forward Eric Nystrom fought Damon for the puck and got a shot off. Michael Woodford then took a shot and Nystrom poked in the rebound with Doyle well out of position. Michigan took a 1-0 lead at 6:47, three seconds after Maine's power play had ended.

   "Just bad bounces on our part," Damon said. "What are you going to do?"

    Maine kept at it. Kariya walked in and fired a wrister that Montoya gloved. Robert Liscak tried the same, with the same result.

   "I just stayed composed, stayed focused and didn't worry about what was going around," Montoya said.

   Maine finally broke through when Shields buried Kariya's centering pass at 16:06. Shields just stood there, stick raised. It was his first goal since Dec. 15 and, more importantly, it tied the game.

   "It was such a relief to finally get on the board," Shields said. "We were probably looking at overtime."

   Michigan got one more chance when Maine defenseman Travis Wight rode Michigan forward Milan Gajic to the ice near the crease and was called for holding.

   Maine had killed off 30 seconds of the penalty before Doyle stopped a slap shot from the right side. The rebound came out to Ortmeyer, alone with an open net in front of him.

   "It just bounced right to him," Doyle said. "There's not much you can do."

   Ortmeyer scored at 18:29 and the Yost Ice Arena rocked. The result was somewhat similar to last year's NCAA title game. Maine scored late against Minnesota in St. Paul. But the home team came back and eventually won on a power-play goal.

   Last year's loss came in overtime. Saturday, Maine still had time. Doyle was pulled and it came down to a final faceoff with 7.1 seconds left. Maine fought for control and sent the puck to the crease. Lucas Lawson could not get his stick on it and the buzzer sounded.

   "It was a mad scramble in front," Lawson said. " I tried to control the puck and I couldn't.

   "It's a tough way to end your senior season, going out in the first round."

   Since the NCAA tournament expanded to 12 teams (now 16) in 1988, Maine had never lost a first-round playoff game.

   Lawson is one of seven seniors who played in four straight NCAA tournaments, reaching the Frozen Four twice, the title game last year.

   "I guess we had a pretty good career," Lawson said. "We never won a national championship, but we were close."

   Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at: