ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:05:18 -0800
http://www.michigandaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/03/28/3e83cb5f8753a

Bears 'surprised' to play at Yost

By Dan Rosen, Daily Sports Writer
March 28, 2003

With loyal fans that could fill any arena close to home and a No. 6
spot in the Pairwise Rankings, the University of Maine hockey team
didn't expect to be at Yost Ice Arena in the Midwest regional. When the
Black Bears sat down to watch the selection show last Sunday, they
thought they'd be headed to one of the two regional sites in the
Northeast - Providence, R.I. or Worcester, Mass. - someplace closer to
home.

"We were a little surprised," said Maine coach Tim Whitehead of his
team's reaction to the news that they would play Michigan in Ann Arbor.

The Black Bears have themselves to blame for that, though. Once the No.
1 team in the country, Maine has dropped seven of its last 12 games.
That stretch includes a first-round sweep out of the Hockey East
Tournament by Massachusetts.

"I think we got a little tired, mentally and physically," Whitehead
said. "I've seen that before, and it's a fine line. We still played
some very good hockey at some points during that stretch in February
there, that last month of the season where we slumped. Overall, we did
not play our best hockey, and we know that."

But that was almost three weeks ago, and Maine hasn't played since.

"They've had nothing to think about except this game; whereas we've had
our plates full, just with Ohio State and then Ferris State and the
whole league championship," Michigan coach Red Berenson said. "I think
that was good for our team, but (the Black Bears) have had one thing on
their mind, (and that) is that (game) when they get to the tournament.
This is what they're preparing for."

Maine is led by Martin Kariya, who has 14-35-49 totals on the season.
The younger brother of Anaheim Mighty Ducks' all-star Paul Kariya was
also named to the Hockey East's All-Conference first team.

"He's as fierce a competitor as you're going to find, and yet he only
has three penalties all year," Whitehead said of Kariya. "He won the
sportsmanship award in our league, and it's amazing, he could have won
the competitor of the year. That's how remarkable of a player, in my
opinion, he is."

Whitehead also compared Kariya to Michigan captain Jed Ortmeyer, in
that their positive approach to the game inspires their teammates.

Between the pipes, the Black Bears split time between freshman Jim
Howard and sophomore Frank Doyle.

Howard was a teammate of Michigan starter Al Montoya last season with
the U.S. National Team Development Program. The two even roomed
together on the road.

"He's a great guy," Montoya said. "He's very competitive in everything
he does. He always wants to do it to his best potential. He's just a
great guy all around. We're friends off the ice."

Although the two haven't had a chance to catch up directly yet this
season, Montoya said that he often gets updates about Howard's play
from their old goalie coach with Team USA.

On the ice, Howard has struggled a bit of late. In the losses to
Massachusetts, the freshman gave up six goals in 40 minutes of play and
was pulled from both games.

Howard has been solid on the year, though, posting a 2.45 goals-against
average and a 14-6-0 record.

"He's a very positive kid, very easy-going," Whitehead said. "He
doesn't get flustered. He's just very composed, very poised in the net.
Many times, with scrambles around the (goal), he seems like the calmest
guy on the ice. That's a pretty good trait for your goalie, you know."

But as far as playing his former teammate goes, Montoya has other
things on his mind.

"That'll be something special, but I'm looking more forward to the
actual game," Montoya said. "I try not to think about it at all much
during the week, I don't want to be mentally drained or anything. But
god, this is the reason you come to Michigan, is to play in games like
this."