ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 17:31:16 -0800
Well, after what seems like forever, we will finally return to the ice
at Yost Arena Saturday against the home Michigan Wolverines in the
first round of the NCAA Tournament.

I think the numbers bear out that Maine did get a raw deal, but as
others have said you can't really say Maine doesn't deserve it.  It is
a tough draw because if you get by Michigan, Colorado College likely
awaits.

Then again, should the NCAA Tournament be easy?

Regardless, it is time to prepare for the NCAA Tournament.  Four games
to decide the 2003 national champion.  Maine has a tough game playing
against Michigan at home, but consider some of these points:

- Maine may feel under "less" pressure to be away from home.  Being in
hostile territory when not much is expected from you might be just the
tonic this team needs.  When you consider just the opposite has been
happening in the last 6 weeks.

- Maine is probably as well prepared for this environment as anyone.
They *almost* beat Minnesota in what was effectively a road environment
with 20,000 people against them.  Yost Arena does not even seat 7000.
It will be comparable to the Whittemore Center where Maine won this
year, except a) the rink is "normal" sized and b) Michigan is not UNH.

- Power of positive thinking... *if* Maine can beat Michigan in their
own building, the sky really is the limit for this team.  Colorado
College will pose a tough test in the next round, but Maine has played
them once already and will derive more confidence from their win over
Michigan than CC will after beating their clearly inferior opponenent.

- Historically Maine does well vs. Michigan in the NCAA Tournament.
Off the top of my head we've won the last 3 matchups with the Maize and
Blue in the big dance. (93, 95, 00)

- I think Maine might be able to catch Michigan by surprise too.
Michigan is comfortable being at home and after seeing Maine fall on
hard times, they might feel a tad over confident coming off their CCHA
Tournament title.  Maine may have already started to prepare for
Michigan as many have predicted Maine to play Michigan for weeks.

Ok, enough of my thoughts for now.. need to save some for the rest of
the week.

What do you all think?

---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]