ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 00:32:49 EST
If we're to believe Charlie (he's usually right!) and the NCAA
bonus doesn't screw up things too much, we can now be fairly
confident of a few observations ...

>> # 1 seeds will be
>>   CC, Cornell, UNH and either maine or minnesota
>> # 2 seeds will be
>>   BU, Ferris state, maine/minnesota, and BC/michigan
>>
>>                   number of scenarios in which pwr rank is 1-16
>>     team          1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10  11  12  13
>> 14  15  16

>> Colorado College 96  32
>> Cornell          32  51  29  16
>> New Hampshire        13  67  48
>> Maine                        64  16  32  16
>> Boston University               112  16
>> Minnesota            32  32          48  16
>> Ferris State                         32  96
>> Boston College                               96      32
>> Michigan                                     32  96

Without considering the probablility of outcomes Saturday and Sunday, we
can say that Maine and Minnesota have 50-50 chances of being a top-4
seed, and if MN is there, ME is out ...  and vice versa.  Furthermore,
if Maine ends in the #4 spot, we *will* go west, since Cornell and UNH
would get the eastern regionals.  It seems to me that the NCAA rules
call for CC to go to Minneapolis and ME to Ann Arbor, but a better
tournament might be had by reversing these.  So I think, barring changes
due to the secret bonus, Maine has a 50% chance of going to Minneapolis
as a regional 1st seed (opponent unknown, but not a top-quality team).

Now if Maine doesn't get the #4 position, we'll get #5-7.  The other
teams in this band would be BU, FS and either BC (75%) or Michigan(25%).
(All good teams to avoid!).  BU will be in Worcester, so Maine will not
be.  Michigan will be in Ann Arbor, leaving Maine at Minneapolis (again)
or Providence.  As band-3 teams pose little problem, it comes down to
what considerations the NCAA will use (they haven't told us).  Will they
avoid 2nd round 1-conference games?  Will they give 4 HEA teams a chance
to go to the Frozen Four?  Do they consider Maine or BC a better draw in
Providence?  I *don't* think they will send both ME and BC west, just so
we can have an all-HEA Frozen Four, as revenue considerations will take
precedence.  These same revenue considerations will dictate some
possible 2nd round 1-conference games, IMHO.

So whereas ME looked like a good candidate for Ann Arbor a week or so
ago, it looks like a better than even bet of Minneapolis, with
Providence a possibility.  I hope Charlie does his calculations again
tomorrow night, for I fear the Sunday MAAC title game will affect the
Maine ranking.

Are there any Sport Psychologists out there?  How does one turn around a
team that has lost early season confidence and great play?  I hope Coach
Whitehead has talked with everyone that might have a chance of knowing!

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
The College Hockey lists: Hockey-L and Hockey3 at http://lists.Maine.edu/