ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:15:31 EST
>Here is USCHO's latest "try" at predicting the NCAA Tournament bracket:
>
>http://www.uscollegehockey.com/news/2003/03/11_006437.php

I think USCHO's bracketology is pretty sound this week (ordering of
selected teams for placement in bands is still not quite correct, IMHO).

UNH is in an interesting position.  As 3rd in the nation and BU as 4th
(and eastern team Cornell in 2nd), UNH would be squeezed west.

UNH almost has to win HEA in order to hope to stay east, as that might
be enough for then to move ahead of Cornell.  BU is guaranteed to stay
in the Northeast region by being the tournament host.  However, a BC
defeat of BU might cause BU to drop to the 2nd band.

Other scenarios to allow UNH eastern ice include losing to UMass or BU
to drop them to 5th (A MN sweep might also be needed).

I think it would be to Maine's advantage for the teams currently right
behind Maine to do well.  If Maine falls to #9 (or lower), the chances
of staying in an eastern regional are almost 100% IMHO.  On the other
hand, a BC loss to BU might raise Maine above BC (I haven't run the PWR
numbers), negating this effect.

The problem with the USCHO story is that games will be played this
weekend and next, and because many of them involve top teams, these
games will have a substantial impact on their selection and placement.

Next week's version should be interesting in that the HEA portion of the
schedule will be complete.

The NCAA Selection Show is on ESPN a week from Sunday (23 Mar) at 5:30.

Comments?   cheers, wayne