ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Scott Dority <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 06:16:36 -0500
Bob Nichols Wrote:
    "Maine went down hill after our two players in the World Junior
tournanment stunk up Halifax and contributed Nothing since.
  Our boys need to regain some confidence!!"
    BINGO   You hit the nail on the head, Bob. I've been waiting for someone
to bring that up.
Is it possible the team derived it's inspiration and confidence from a
freshman goalie? Forgetting the fact they won while
he was gone, since his return the team has played like girls. OK, Two
things: I'm not blaming Jimmy, and this is not a slam on the female gender.
I didn't see any of the earlier season games, but it seems to me that Maine
refuses to play physical hockey. Were they hitting in the first half? From
the write-ups of the games I gather Prestin was, (and getting called for
it). IMHO if you dilute his willingness to "let it fly" then you have easily
cut in half the pain Maine will inflict on it's opponent. In the few games
I've seen this year, Ryan was, at first, a dominating defensive presence.
Then, following a benching, he seemed like a different player. Pulling back
on the reins, tetnative, unsure of what to do. I say, let him be himself, to
hell with the penaties. The opposition needs to fear being in the corners
with him (or anybody else) on the ice. If we're going down, then lets at
least make them feel pay for it. Bottom line... Maine needs to be more
physical.
    One more thing: this team's conditioning is clearly not what it has been
in the past. We used to own the the third period, now the legs are tired at
the end of the first. This is very obvious if "I" can see it. Perhaps a week
off isn't a bad idea if, instead of skating, the team is working on
endurance issues. I certainly wouldnt have given them time off completely.