ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:06:06 -0500
Beth Dixon said of my comment on a need for a physical presence and intimidator

>Not to add too much fuel to an already well lit fire, but I have to
>disagree.  Maine has won championships and skated circles around both
>Hockey East and other teams around the nation not by fighting, taking
>cheap shots or just playing rough.  They have won by being the best hockey
>players and while there is no doubt that hockey is a tough game, there is
>no room for poor sportsmanship and cheap shots.

Nowhere in my post did I say that we need a cheap shot artist, an
intimidator is someone opponents fear and respect, and someone who will
punish them with a hard hit.  He changes how teams play.

As for your comments on winning championships without this element

Let's look at the history of our 2 National Championship teams and allow me
to introduce, from 1993 Cal Ingraham.  Cal was noted for his stick work not
only when his stick was on the ice putting the puck in the net, but he was
famous for putting his stick other places too!  He was tough as nails and
had to be, but he set a tone.

And certainly your memory is not short enough to reminisce about Brendan
Walsh.  Other teams felt Brendan was the dirtiest player in the league.  As
I said I hated him when he was at BU, and loved him on Maine.  When the
puck went into the corner you don't think the d-men was more concerned
about getting hit than getting the puck out!  You need guys like that on a
hockey team, they make space for players like Marty and Niko.

Generally you can't have all skaters and win, and you can't have all
hitters and win, it takes a mixture and that's what Prestin has the ability
to bring Maine, along with a blistering slap shot.  JMHO

Bob Fitta
Advertising Account Manager
Harvard Magazine
http://www.harvard-magazine.com