ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Wollstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:26:23 EST
In a message dated 99-03-18 22:31:56 EST, Deron Treadwell writes:

<< Certainly I don't claim to know how the athletic department works.
 All I know is that WMEB wants to do this and meetings are in the works
 regarding this.

 I'm unclear about the point of your note, though.  Are you saying
 Maine shouldn't move forward with RealAudio broadcast because
 advertisers might be lukewarm?

No. My point is that WZON's advertisers probably aren't going to be willing to
pay a premium for the additional exposure that they would get through internet
broadcasting because (a) the number of people listing to UMaine games on their
computer won't be that great (until modem-equipped computers replace car
radios) and (b) many of those who will be listening to their computers live
too far away to do business with Bangor-area advertisers. If the Athletic
Depatment is looking at internet broadcasting as a potential source of
additional revenue, I think it's chasing rainbows.

I would very much like to see UMaine join the growing number of college hockey
programs that broadcast their games over the 'net, and given WMEB's enthusiasm
for the project, I don't understand why the Athletic Department hasn't allowed
them to proceed.