ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Wollstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:27:01 EST
Deron:  The student radio station folks were on this message board several
months ago asking about Audionet and indicating not only that they were
willing and eager to do it, but that they had funds to buy the computer
equipment needed to do the job. But will the Athletic Department allow them to
do it? My understanding is that the Athletic Department is operating under the
assumption that the added exposure from broadcasting on the 'net would be
worth lots of $$$ to WZON, and that the Athletic Department would be able to
use that added exposure to charge WZON more for the rights to broadcast the
hockey games. My guess is that WZON advertisers aren't likely to be impressed
by the added exposure on the 'net, because the number of people who are going
to sit next to their computers and listen to a UMaine hockey game is
relatively small. Sure, there will be some--particularly, the parents and
friends of hockey players who live far away and can't come to the games, but
the advertisers on WZON care only about listeners who are close enough to
Bangor/Orono to buy their goods and services.