ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 18:12:39 EST
I posted a week or so ago in answer to a question from someone questioning why
oh why our nationally ranked program has not gotten on the net yet.  I had
spoken with a fan who had assured me that WZON was fine with the internet
broadcasts and was anxiously waiting for the University to okay it.

I WAS WRONG, FOLKS!  SHAME ON ME FOR NOT CHECKING ALL MY FACTS!

I just got off the phone with Dino Mattesich, who has been discussing this
issue with WZON for months, and who's note I shared with you folks in
December.  He brought me up to date on the issue:

He tells me that WZON has music which they play during their broadcasts that
they pay royalties on, and this could be a problem if these same broadcasts go
over the internet.  They are reportedly bringing in special counsel on this
issue, before they are willing to go over the net.

Personally, I think this is far sighted of them to investigate this before it
becomes a legal tangle.  Internet law is too new to be certain of many legal
rights at present.

Speaking as a Maine fan, however, it can't happen fast enough!  It is
frustrating to see all the other Broadcast.com games and realize we can't hear
our own Dan the Man Hannigan, and Blair Marsh or David Lang with their great
color commentary.  Some of the broadcasts are even video well as audio!!!  I'd
love to see the Bears on the Net!

SO all you folks who have written, called or emailed me and/or the rest of the
Board or posted on this list questioning this - this is what we have to deal
with until this issue is resolved.  Everyone pray for speed!