EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jon & Anne Weidler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 12:09:39 -0600
I'd like to mention that I have read the Wanderer more than a few
times, and translated it in an Anglo-Saxon language  class I took.  I
realize that this is meager in comparison with Mr. Romano's expertise,
but on the other hand, it's not as though I'd only read it once, or
only read it in modern English.  While composing my original post, I
*did* have my copy of the original from Sweet's in front of me, and had
looked at the website we had been pointed towards (without finding the
translation -- thanks Hongguang).  At the end of that post, I typed a
passage from the original that I enjoy, "Wel bith tham the him are
seceth...", and apologized for not being able to use the appropriate
A-S consonants.  Chances are, I didn't do this from my memory alone.

In other words, I looked closely at the thing prior to responding.  I
just didn't do so for long enough, or had done so recently enough, to
sound like a bona fide expert with a claim and not just an opinion.
The original question reminded me of a paper I had written on "The
Wanderer" and "The Seafarer" that put the poems specifically into
comparison with Buddhism.  I thought I could reconstruct roughly enough
the main differences I noted, at least for the purposes of an e-mail
discussion list.  (Maybe I needed more solid data on the relationship
between Buddhism and the Wanderer: maybe if I'd done more research, I
would have seen that St. Bede also translated the Diamond Sutra, and
that Dogen's reading of Grendel's mother was astonishingly apt.)

I ask you, was any of this really a breach of etiquette?  It's not like
I blew my nose on somebody's doily.  Perhaps the one who asks the next
question should provide a list of minimum study requirements prior to
anyone's answering.  That will make our civic discussion proceed that
much more smoothly, and no one will have to have their feathers
ruffled.  (Unless they're the kind whose feathers come pre-ruffled and
are filled with gunpowder.)

That was a joke.

Let's talk about Ezra Pound for a change.

J. W.

- Vive Kiesling