EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Peter Bi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 20:15:58 -0800
O Mi Tu Fo

--- these famous Buddhism words mean nothing. And this is exactly Buddha
would suggest one to face tragedies like Nanjing Massacre, Holocaust, or
Dresden Bombing.  I found this is kind of sorry that in western cultures,
there is lack of good solutions for treating unfairness, death and sadness
etc. "Forgiveness", for example, comes with the implication that one's side
is right and the other is wrong. "Memorial", would not only ask one to
remember the glory but also to extend one's hatred to the next generations.

If Pound was here, would he have another look at Buddhism ? (I read in
several places that he might not like it.) Anyway, in history, there is
never a war under the name of Buddha, not even a complaint of unfairness!
(correct me), although the whole religion or philosophy, which consists of
hundreds, if not thousands, times more pages than the Bibles, is dedicated
to the topics.

(To the above two concept: Buddhism does not accept "rightness" at the first
place and "memorizing" is especially harmful for the peace of mind.)

Hongguang