EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 20:59:13 -0500
Jon,

----------
>From: Jon & Anne Weidler <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Pound-in-a-box
>Date: Wed, Mar 5, 2003, 5:29 PM
>

>         This is an issue about which I'd like to read much more.  Is there,
> off the top of your wonderful heads, a book like "The Madness of Ezra
> Pound"?  Or a study of this period's approach to madness that might
> illuminate Pound-in-a-box?

    Although Pound is never mentioned in his book, Colin Wilson's THE
OUTSIDER might serve as a useful review of the modern dilemma for such ones
who step out of the normal path. Pound's absence there is almost as
conspicuous as the absence of Jesus in Lord Raglan's THE HERO.

> Kind regards,
> Jon,
>
> who still thinks Foucault is too important to be abandoned to prejudice
> and intellectual intimidation.
>
> and who thinks that two lines from HSW should suffice for Pound's
> virtual Poet's Corner inscription, which we can gladly imagine, until
> the sad event of Pound's naturalization as a grate Amer-eye-can poed:
> "usury age-old and age-thick
> and liars in public places".

Of course you meant HSM,and those are choice lines, but how could they turn
down these:

"I ha' seen him drive a hundred men
Wi' a bundle o' cords swung free,
That they took the high and holy house
For their pawn and treasury."

But-

We'll no' get him a' in a poet's corner I think

Charles