EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 18:16:09 -0700
Hello

I tied to post this earlier today but have yet to see it on list.  Please forgive multiple copies.

On page 14 of "Spirit of Romance" Pound provides 4 Latin lines he attributes to Ovid.  He then gives an English translation which I guess is his own.  He does not provide any citation as to where in Ovid the Latin quote comes from.

Does anyone know where in Ovid the lines came from?  I have found a near English equivalent to Pound's translation; Golding book 3 line 30-40.  The Latin for this Golding scene does not correspond to the Latin verse which Pound provided.

I have searched the Perseus at Tufts with no results.  I am not an expert at searches so could easily have made a mistake.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM