EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:46:15 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Brennen,
> Open your eyes for a moment, and you'll be angry too (if anger is, in fact,
> the accurate characterization for the deep, and
> much-wider-spread-than-Rove-imagines, outrage at this administration, and the
> acquiescent manner of those citizens who think it's..well, good that we're
> the 'winners'.
> By the way, fury at US policy and American jingoism (cultural and otherwise)
> is not 'self-loathing' as was suggested earlier on this thread.   It's
> loathing of US policy and American jingoism.   See the difference between
> that and 'self'?
> Jay Anania

Yes. Fury, outrage, whatever, at a government has no necessary linkage
at all to one's attitude towards the people over whom that government
rules. I know no way in which one can (or should) condemn a whole
people. But as Americans we are also part of humanity, and the policy of
the United States is an attack on humanity, and hence on us.

To bring this back to Pound. Nearly the most frustrating lines in the
entire poem are the following from _Rock Drill_ -- frustrating because
they are so profound and at the same time so vile in their particular
application:

(Couldn't locate them. They are echoed in these lines:

        not arrogant from habit,
            but furious from percpetion (Canto 90)

The lines I'm trying to locate are roughly:

Adolph furious from perception
But there is a blindness which comes from inside.

Brendan in seeing some of us "angry at the world" simply cannot imagine
the enormous misery the U.S. is and has been creating around the globe.
. . .

To be men not destroyers.

Carrol