EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Brennen Lukas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:29:36 -0500
I am quite aware of America's questionable history in its dealings with
other nations. You see, kind sir, I felt that those sentiments had been
amply brought to light by others on the list. The laundry list of American
sins has been aired quite thoroughly on the clothes line. My intention was
to offer the flip side of the Polo towel, in which America's government has
to deal with the world as it currently exists.

It saddens me that you neglected to deal with any of the content of my post,
choosing instead to lean on cliched dysphemisms. The question is not whether
Arabs have justification in their anger against the U.S. Any educated person
knows that America has sown many seeds of hate and distrust in the world.
The real question, the one I am attempting to address squarely, is what
should America now do? I refuse to accept the notion that goes something
like: America is a big nasty bully, therefore America should take a totally
laissaiz faire approach to the world and let the chips fall where they may.
This view is totally unrealistic.

I repeat: With great power comes great responsibility. What should be the
role of the world's only superpower? Let's discuss that.

And to you, sir, to whom I apologize because I don't know your name, why
don't you tackle the list of questions at the beginning of the jingoistic
blither that so offended your refined sensibilities. I'd be most interested
in your responses.