EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
David Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:30:45 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: - Ezra Pound discussion list of the University of Maine
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Carrol Cox
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 6:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: laureates against the war

Carrol,
I have just a minor point. Let us give credit where it is due. I know
Canadian contributions to the world are thought of as non-existent but I
must remind you that twenty-five per cent of the oil that the U.S. uses
comes from Canada. I believe this is what Ezra Pound would have wanted.
David

U.S. oil comes from Venezuela, Mexico, & Nigeria, not the mideast.
European oil comes from the Mideast. Japanese oil comes from the
mideast. Some place in the Cantos there is a line or two about someone
scrabbling through the soil of Persia looking for oil. (Iraqi & Arabian
oil came much later.) Pound was touching there on one of the major
sources of World War I.

The outcome of the Iraqi War will be U.S. control of the lifeblood of
the EU and Japan. We could be seeing the opening stages of a replay of
sorts of World War I. The U.S. & England against Europe -- with the
other players (India, China, Japan, Russia) to line up on either side
depending on future events.

This is the _only_ "rational" reason for this war. The official claims
are pure nonsense, and no war being needed for _access_ to oil, but only
for _control_ of oil which the U.S. does not itself need.

Carrol