EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Davis, Alex" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:03:59 -0000
Guernica Reproduction Covered at UN

NEW YORK.- The "Guernica" work by Pablo Picasso at the entrance of the
Security Council of the United Nations has been covered with a curtain.
The reason for covering this work is that this is the place where
diplomats make statements to the press and have this work as the
background. The Picasso work features the horrors of war. On January 27 a
large blue curtain was placed to cover the work.

Fred Eckhard, press secretary of the U.N. said: "It is an inappropriate
background for the cameras." He was questioned as to why the work had been
covered.

A diplomat stated that it would not be an appropriate background if the
ambassador of the United States at the U.N. John Negroponte, or Powell,
talk about war surrounded with women, children and animals shouting with
horror and showing the suffering of the bombings.

This work is a reproduction of the Guernica that was donated by Nelson A.
Rockefeller to the U.N. in 1985.