EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:23:45 -0800
Rick,

"...to formulate more clearly my own thoughts as to the nature of some
mystery or equation."
"Intense emotion causes pattern to arise in the mind.... By pattern-unit
or vorticist picture I mean the single jet.  The difference between the
pattern-unit and the picture is one of complexity."
"The vorticist position, or at least my position at the moment, is this:
"Energy, or emotion, expresses itself in form.  When an energy or
emotion 'presents an image', this may find adequate expression in
words.... The verbal expression of the image may be reinforced by a
suitable or cognate rhythm-form and by timbre-form..."

from EP, Affirmations: As for Imagisme, 1915

In GK, the section "Vorticist", he says, "our vortex is will and
consciousness".

The definition of the image you quote, and which I accept in the context
of EP, does not indicate an image in the usual sense of the word, id est
as a presented physical object.  This is why, in GK, he speaks of his
various sections in the book as forming an ideogram.  An ideogram is
composed of images, i.e., in the sense you presented,  but this isn't
the same as the 5 images you designate in the passage "ply over ply...."
(a lovely passage).  Nobody would call any section of GK an image in the
usual sense of the word.  I'm not saying that the previously noted
passage doesn't employ the same method, but that the method isn't
limited to that sort of  "concrete" image.  The Adams, Malatesta, and
Kung Cantos are also Imagist poems in this sense, but I don't think
anybody will want to call them that.

Pound moved from the concrete image to the pattern of energy.  In 1915,
he redefined imagisme in terms of vorticism. It was a process.  His
earlier examination stripped things down to the barest essentials
(Imagisme).  As he continued thinking and working, he developed his
thinking about Imagisme in terms of vorticism, but the word imagisme had
already been taken away from him and used to refer to concrete images.
Only vorticism makes sense in reference to the Cantos.

Pound is a vorticist poet.  I haven't read Witemeyer in more than 25
years (and you'll probably send me back to him, I mean, now I'll
probably read him again), but in the meantime, I'll take EP's word for it.

--

Dirk Johnson
676 Geary #407

Home: 415-771-7734