ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 14:44:19 -0500
Here is the preview for the weekend series with the Friars

By Bill Stewart
Maine Campus staff

The University of Maine men's hockey team will strive for some
consistency this weekend when they travel to Providence College for a
weekend series with the Friars.
The Black Bears have experienced a stretch of games in which they have
struggled to find harmony, having lost four of their last seven games.
"We'll see what team shows up," Maine coach Shawn Walsh said. "It's a
mental thing right now and all we can do is try to just play hard."
These will be the final meetings of the year between the two schools as
Maine defeated Providence 6-3 November 1 in Orono. It also marks the
first time this season the Bears will play a Hockey East contest on the
road.
The Friars have enjoyed some early season success having dropped just
one game in their last nine outings.
"We've been finding ways to win which is nice," Providence coach Paul
Pooley said.  "We're learning while we're winning."
The Black Bears have been working on flow drills this week in practice
with emphasis on improving team speed. However, Walsh also acknowledged
that team defense is still a concern.
"We have to play defense," Walsh said.  "Providence is grinders and
we're going to have to bring our legs to beat them. They play physical
so we'll have to be able to skate."
Although the schools have met this year, the scenery will be different
with the series shifting to southern New England.
"Sometimes teams are different at home," Maine captain Shawn
Wansborough said.  "We don't have too much trouble with them in our
rink."
Historically, Providence plays a more trap-oriented type of game with
efforts concentrated on frustrating opposing teams by containing their
speed. However, while playing in Schneider Arena, the Friars could
throw a different style at the Black Bears.
"They play a trap or a two-man forecheck," Maine goalie Bryan Masotta
said.  "If they are trapping we'll have to control our turnovers."
Providence will also look to establish a physical presence around the
boards, in particular, in the corners.
"They love to cycle the puck down low," Defenseman David Cullen said.
"They are tough at home and we'll have to tighten up defensively."
"They work well in the offensive zone and they will attack us in the
corners," forward Jason Vitorino said.  "We have to be patient and play
strong defensively."
The Friars are led by a trio of talent up front coupled with an
abundance of role players.  Mike Omicioli is off to a hot start leading
the team in scoring with 22 points. Fernando Pisani and Jon Cameron
also provide some offense up front having combined for 30 points.
"Omicioli has played well," Pooley said.  "However, we haven't had
anyone say 'this is my team and I'll take it over."
The Friars have received some strong performances from goalie Boyd
Ballard as well. He was named Hockey East goaltender of the month for
posting a 5-1-1 record in November.
"Ballard was undefeated in his first six games and he has just found
ways to stop the puck," Pooley said.  "He's also found ways to win."
Leading the Black Bears this season is junior forward Steve Kariya.
Kariya leads the Bears in scoring with 26 points in 12 games.  Pooley
said that his Friars will be wary of Kariya's line when they take the
ice.
"We're going to pay close attention to him (Kariya) although I don't
know if it is possible to stop him," Pooley said.  "That line with
(Scott) Parmentier and Wansborough is very good. You have to be careful
when they are on the ice."
Paw Prints
Look for Masotta in net Friday night with a decision for Saturday still
pending. Masotta and Alfie Michaud have split the duties in net
recently.  Masotta beat the Friars earlier this year in Orono where he
earned his first victory over a Hockey East opponent as a member of the
Black Bears.
 Masotta's strengths rest in the way he handles the puck, which is
critical when playing a crash-the-net type team with a gritty mental
make-up such as the Friars.
The Black Bears' power play has cooled off a little, but still presents
itself as a dangerous component of their offense.
The Bears have scored 30 power play goals this year in 79 chances.
Don't think Pooley hasn't noticed.
"We can't play a special teams game," Pooley said.  "We have to stay
out of the box and we want to play them five on five."
Kariya and Parmentier are both closing in on reaching the century mark
in total points.  Kariya needs two points while Parmentier needs seven
to eclipse that milestone.
Providence has not defeated Maine on its home ice since Nov. 10, 1995.