ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jacob Metzler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:45:44 -0500
Whitehead's report this morning followed the theme " we are good, but have not been playing the way we need to lately and finally after last weekend the players learned what the coaches have been preaching the last few weeks"

-It was good to go through this, and he thought PC was "a few weeks ahead of us" meaning that PC had played like crap a few weeks ago and then finally was playing as a team and played real well.  The team saw that and realize that's what they have
to start doing.

-He was happy it happened now, and that it had to happen for the players to regain their focus.  Practices have been great all week long very sharp and so that is encouraging.

-He reiterated that this team is very determined to do something special this year and they haven't lost sight of that goal.

-When this team doesn't compete as hard as it can, it just doesn't have the talent to overcome that.  They haven't beeen working hard enough in the "necessary areas" in front of BOTH nets, along the boards and on faceoffs.

-He says the team was "cheating" a bit by doing stuff and getting away with it defensively and whatnot and they finally realized that they can't do that, or they are going to get the results of last friday more often.

-The guys are serious about playing hard

-Bottom line is not the goalies fault over the last few weeks, the team has to work hard in front of them

-Keys for playing well at UMass include:
        - have to be great on the penalty kill becuase they have a good PP unit
        -HAVE to stop the top line and the Powerplay unit
        -And have to focus on themselves and competing harder

-The coaches are confident in the team and their ability and their potential but the team hasn't been doing what they needed to over the last few weeks to stay at that level the coaches know they can play at.

On the injury front there was no comments so I don't know who is back or not, I heard a rumor that both Heisten and Shaneberger would be back but don't know if that is true or not.  Maybe someone else knows.  Again I would expect to see both goalies
this weekend.