ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jacob Metzler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:32:41 -0500
Quick recap of WZON THurs Coach's Report:

-According to Whitehead, he feels "the goal" would have been called back, w/ video replay in the playoffs.  But he also (obviously) said that Hansen made the right call by not waving it off immediately because "you have to be real sure about that
when you wave one off"

-Of the two nights he thought game two with the THUNDERSTIX was the best atmosphere

-2 points on the weekend were "monsterous" , but they were disappointed with the first night performance with bad turnovers leading to goals, and 2 goals off the faceoff.

-It will be wishful thinking on Maine's part if they think BC will be distracted coming up here this weekend (in between Beanpot games)

-How do you slow Eaves down? " Get in his jersey w/o getting penalties called" Let him know its not going to be easy to get open.

-In order for success against BC, have to play sharp defensively and EARN time in the maine zone.

-Also (as always) have to stay out of the box, and be very sharp on the penalty kill because they are real real good on the PP

- Lines likely to stay the same as last weekend, except for Ronan who strained his ribs early on Sunday night and didn't finish that game and won't be ready this weekend.  Other than that there won't be much changed.

-Hockey East is a three horse race and that is great, but also scared of how BU is playing right now, they are hot.

GOALIE TALK:
-Jimmy played great the first night, but with no help (bad turnovers, not clearing out guys near the net, etc.).  Second Night really earned the win and Whitehead was pleased that he bounced back so well.  He also mentioned that his consistency as a
freshman is just amazing.

Jake's Comment:  There was no mention of Doyle, but plenty of gushing about Jimmy.  So no idea what happens this weekend.  I assume it will be Jimmy Friday and if we don't see Doyle on Sunday then I can't believe we'll see him again this year.

-Jake