ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:20:59 -0500
(from http://www.goblackbears.com)

December 4, 2002
Howard Named Inaugural Commissioners' Choice Rookie of the Month

ORONO, Maine-- University of Maine goaltender Jimmy Howard (Ogdensburg,
N.Y.) earned the inaugural Commissioners' Choice Award as the top Division I
men's college hockey rookie for the month of November. The award was
announced today by the Ice Hockey Collegiate Commissioners' Association.

Howard finished November 5-0-0 with a 1.28 goals against average and a .956
save percentage. He recorded a career-high 36 saves in 7-3 win over Boston
University (the seventh-ranked team in the nation at the time) and followed
that up with 35 saves in victory over second-ranked New Hampshire.

Howard set the UMaine record for consecutive scoreless minutes when he
blanked opponents for 193:45 during a string of three straight shutouts. He
also tied the UMaine record for shutouts in a season by a goaltender when he
posted his third shutout on Nov. 9 vs. Massachusetts. Howard was named the
Hockey East Rookie of the Month as well as the Hockey East ITECH Goaltender
of the Month.

"We are very proud of Jimmy," said University of Maine head coach Tim
Whitehead. "We are very excited to have him as part of our program."

Howard is 7-1-0 on the season with a 1.33 goals against average and a .949
save percentage. He ranks tied for the national lead in shutouts with three
and is second in the country in save percentage and third in GAA. Howard has
been named Hockey East Rookie of the week twice.

The Black Bears, currently the top-ranked team in the country in the latest
USA Today/AHM Poll, put their number one ranking and 10-1-1 record on the
line when they travel to Boston College. The two teams will play both
Friday, Dec. 6 and Saturday, Dec. 7 at Conte Forum in Chestnut Hill, Mass.