ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:23:33 -0500
Since Dave brought it up... rant on  :-)

I nearly threw up when I saw that she was the referee for this game.  She
struggles officiating ECAC contests, I could not believe that she was
wearing the stripes for one of the (potentially) largest game in women's
hockey history.

One of the problems in women's hockey is that they really want to push
female referees and get them into the "big time" if you will.  But I think
they are trying to push *some* of them too much.  Without knowing much of
Stacey's background I can't comment on that, but so far as I know she has
not been an official for more than 2-3 years (please correct me if I am
wrong).  I can't believe there wasn't a more qualified official for that
game.

That said, she did impact the game and the commentators were correct to be
critical of her performance.  She ruined the flow of the game for the US and
could have cost Canada the game with all the penalties she called.  While I
thought she was brutal and I wish I could use it as an excuse as to why
Canada won.. I can't.  Canada played with more heart IMHO than the US did,
which is disappointing.

Women's hockey is not easy to officiate.  The no-checking rule creates a
fine line that each referee has to determine.  While there is no checking,
there is physical contact allowed.  How much of that physical contact the
referee lets go is the point of interpretation.  Stacey has never been one
to "let the teams play".  It was too bad because I bet each of those players
would have appreciated a more conservative referee.

-Deron