ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 07:22:08 EST
>http://www.bangornews.com/editorialnews/article.html?ID=50534&town=Orono&byline
> LarryMahoney&cname=Sports&section=City&tt=11AM
>
>this was in todays bangor daily...next year there could be 16 teams in the
> tourney....

Could be.  Please note that this has been a news story every year,
probably since the NCAAs went to 12 teams.

The NCAA seems to have a 25% (perhaps unwritten) rule, that says no more
than 25% of teams should make the NCAA tournament (in whatever sport and
division).

Given 60 teams next year, that would mean 15, but the argument to go
with 16 is strong.  (The 12-team tournament was instituted when the
number of D-I teams was 48, as I recall).

Although not mentioned in the article, the increase to a 16-team NCAA
tournament has a better chance this time in part because it is being
championed by Quinnipiac AD Jack McDonald ...  a person that is not
afraid to cross the t's and dot the i's to get something done.

P.S. Mahoney's article also discusses and has quotes from Michael Ayers,
the UNH goalie that played Saturday with a severed tendon.

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
The College Hockey lists: Hockey-L and Hockey3 at http://lists.Maine.edu/