ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:11:58 -0500
[log in to unmask],NNTP writes:
>http://www.portland.com/sports/college/hockey/011216umthomas.shtml

With a "snow day" today, I thought I'd look Maine and Hockey East
penalties a little more.  My impression was that Maine had a few more
penalties than previous years, but mostly from a few players. Also, it
was my impression, glancing at box scores, that there are fewer
penalties being called this year (other than at Maine).

To my surprise, I found penalties and penalty minutes slightly up this
year from last, but down from 2 seasons ago (in 1999-2000 we scored a
bunch of goals and took a bunch of penalties).  Currently, Maine is
taking 7.3 penalties per HEA game with the league average at 6.5.  BU
(7.8) and PC (7.5) are the only teams with higher penalty rates.  Last
year Maine averaged 6.4 penalties in league games, and 2 seasons ago
averaged 8.1.  Penalty minutes track fairly well, with Maine at 16.2
(league average 14.3). The previous 4 seasons Maine took 14.2, 17.9,
16.2 and 15.9 penalty minutes per league game.

On to my second question: have HEA referees swallowed their whistles?
(yes).

In the past 2 seasons, the number of penalties per HEA game were 7.9
and 7.8; this year it's 6.5.

Penalty minutes per HEA game tracks similarly. The last 4 seasons (last
season is first in list) resulted in 17.6, 17.3, 17.8 and 18.9 penalty
minutes per HEA game; this year it's 14.3.

That's a league wide decrease of 17 to 20% in penalties.  I'll be
interested in hearing your guess as to what is causing the decline!

cheers, wayne