ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 19:37:53 -0500
> When did everyone get so bloody holier-than-thou?  Is there anyone posting
> this list who hasn't made some really stupid mistakes in life?  He has
made
> mistakes, no one is suggesting that he hasn't.  I think, when his mistakes
> are behind him that we will be better with him on the ice than not.  Let
him
> learn from them, just as we all have (hopefully) and get over it!  In the
> meantime, get off his back.  He knows what he has to do and your ranting
and
> raving and repeating the same things over and over aren't helping at all.
> "Let him who is without sin cast ..." and all that.  Happy Holidays,
Hockey
> fans!

C'mon.. no one is ignoring their own human nature.  It *was* a mistake and
*everyone* makes mistakes.

But with mistakes come consequences, and when those mistakes involve a
danger to other people the consequences often are swift and potentially more
severe.  I do not have to provide non-hockey examples here to illustrate
this point I am sure.

I do not think that Prestin should start packing his dorm room and be run
out of Maine.  I also agree he has a lot to offer Maine and Maine *should*
support him.  But that support is going to require some action IMHO.  Maybe
it is as simple as sitting him in FL, maybe he needs counseling or
something.  There was very little consequence for what he did Saturday
night, outside of public opinion, that will necessitate a change IMHO.  He
sat for 7 minutes, BC didn't score, Voce came back to the game, Maine didn't
lose, he wasn't DQ'ed, yeah.. he had to sit on the bench and only play one
shift, but I am not convinced that is enough.  A couple weeks away from
hockey and all is forgotten??  I don't coach hockey, I am not a sports
pyschologist.  I trust Tim Whitehead will do what he needs to help Prestin
Ryan.  The bottom line is this type of play cannot be tollerated.

Is there any chance that BC might request additional action from the league?
I can't recall the league levying suspensions (not related to DQ's called in
a game), but it could have happened?  Can anyone shed any light on this?