ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Nonni Daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:12:44 -0400
[log in to unmask] writes:
>Does anybody know the details on the auction of the North Dakota
>jerseys?
>According to the BDN, the Soiux are going to be auctioning off their
>game
>jerseys from friday night to raise money for the Shawn Walsh
>Foundation. Nice
>gesture. Here is the article:

>http://www.bangornews.com/cgi-bin/article.cfm?storynumber=22337

Quite honestly, the Bangor Daily News really screwed this up.  There is
no such entity as the Shawn Walsh Foundation -- not now, never has
been.  And no one from the BDN has called any of us involved with The
Coaches Foundation to ask about our purpose.  Contact names and numbers
were given out at the Hockey East Media Day when this was announced.
The Coaches Foundation will determine how those jerseys will be
auctioned.

FYI:Here's some information I sent to someone else who was asking the
same questions ...
        The formation of The Coaches Foundation was announced at Hockey East
Media Day in Boston two weeks ago, thanks to Joe Bertagna, and a short
piece was carried as a second sub-head in the Bangor Daily News in its
College Report.  Why they didn't see it of more import is beyond me,
but I am beyond second-guessing.  then, this piece showed up this
morning and it is so error-ridden that it doesn't deserve to be printed.
        Here's the truth: Because of the incredible number of people who
stepped forth and asked how they could help Shawn through the
mind-boggling maze known as "health care" in this country and as a
result of Shawn's foresightedness, a charitable group known as The
Coaches Foundation has been formed and incorporated in the State of
Maine.  The application for 501 (c) (c) status is being filed in
Washington as we speak.  Its goals are to be an on-going source of help
to all coaches who find themselves in dire straits with
life-threatening illnesses.  Joe Bertagna, the Hockey East
Commissioner, is one of the board members.
        In response, just the tip of the iceberg: Notre Dame held its
Blue-Gold intrasquad scrimmage two weeks ago and, as is their tendency,
the proceeds will go to a charity.  The letter I have from Asst. Coach
Andy Slaggert says that the proceeds this year will go to The Coaches
Foundation.  The games started in this direction because of the illness
to cancer of Andy's brother, Ed.
        In addition, the North Dakota team will have Shawn's name somewhere on
its jerseys and, at the end of the weekend according to Head Coach Dean
Blais, those jerseys will be donated to the Foundation to use as
auction items or for another form of fund-raising.
        Many others have asked what they can do -- these are just examples.
The Coaches Foundation is located at P O Box 115, Bangor ME 04402-0115.
 Information can be obtained from Nonni Daly at 207-827-8386 or at her
email address or by calling Joe Bertagna at Hockey East.